Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray Player Available for Pre-order

Posted in Amazon Bargains, Players on September 24th, 2008 by Dave

bd50.jpgI see today that the Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray Disc Player is now available for pre-order at Amazon.

I am excited to see this player coming, since it adds the essential 7.1 analog connectivity to the functionality of the DMP-BD50 player (pictured).

Price is $499.99 and expect shipping in 3 to 5 weeks.

9 Responses to “Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray Player Available for Pre-order”

1. Glen says:

Let the Panasonic vs. Sony competition begin, since the Panny DMP-BD55 should be available right around the time the Sony BDP-S550 hits the market. Both are BD Live players supporting the major high-def audio options. I was originally gonna pounce on the Sony, but after what I’ve been hearing from reliable net sources, I may just be grabbing the Panasonic player at my local dealer instead. Either way, Blu-ray fans win with two more great player possibilities!

2. Dave says:

I am actually in pretty much the same position.

I am also curious with respect to the possibility of region free modification. Right now it looks like the Panasonic players are easier to mod than the Sony ones…

Plus I started with the BD10 and like it so have a leaning towards Panasonic…

3. Sariena says:

Hi All,
    Actually this link is not correct. It goes to a 3rd party seller. The player is up for pre-order for $399, through Amazon. I don’t know why their own page does not come up when you enter this model number. But look to the right under “More Buying Options” and you’ll see it. Enjoy! Sariena

4. Dave says:

I am never sure why Amazon sometimes lists their ‘Amazon Store’ sites in preference to their own.

Perhaps in this case it is due to the firmer ship date.

5. Mike G says:

For those interested in the new panasonic models…They are also available from Circuit City for pre-order and have a release date of Oct 20, which is 8 days sooner than amazon and the price is the same.

6. Harry P says:

I too am weighing the Sony BDPS550 against the PANA DMP-BD55K mainly for the 7.1 Analog output of the major high-def audio options.

I already have the Pana DMP-BD30K and I like it a lot but I am concerned that while the PANA DMP-BD55K has the 7.1 analog out that it may only supports the Dolby Digital plus. See this description from the Circuit City website:

“Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD: Dolby True HD and DTS-HD, when connected to a 7.1 home theater system, transmit a specific channel of audio to a respective speaker: the end result is that you get high-definition sound to complement your high-def viewing experience. You can also enjoy the 7.1 audio output of Dolby Digital Plus.”

Does the last statement mean that you can “also” output DD+ or is it referring to all you get from the analog output? I hate their “word specsmanship”.

I know the Sony outputs all of the formats from the operating maunual page 66.

If anyone knows the details please advise as I can’t find anything definitive on line about the PANA.

7. Dave says:

I would be very surprised if it didn’t put all of the decoded audio out on the 7.1 analogs, but as you say sometimes you have to read the wording carefully.

Many believed that the BD50 player had 7.1 analogs but if you read the press release carefully they only mentioned 7.1 over the HDMI.

I also heard that the DTS MA support on the Sony would come in a later update, which is annoying if true.

8. Bob says:

Where do you get the manual for the Sony BDP-S550?

9. Chuck says:

The Sony has no slow motion, or frame by frame advance. That’s a show stopper for me.